Tuesday 14 October 2014

Look I'm sleeping by self

Today we started the same pony and dance show of negotiating to make Aanya sleep by herself at night.

First she said one story and she'd sleep by herself.  I said okay if she drank her milk while I read to her.  She said okay but didn't like the books I proposed - crayons one; she said she wanted a new winnie one and picked out a winnie book.

She said that we had to go in bed together to read it.  I sat with her in the bed.  Then she said - "I think we can lie down and read," nodding her head and smiling a little as she said it.  "What do you think?".  I was amazed at her soft skills of persuasion and not letting myself be completely convinced said that we can half lie down, half sit up - propped on the pillow.  She agreed with a smile.

When the story ended she said one more.  I vehemently refused saying I was too tried - which I was.  She said please, what if I finish all my milk, one more story and I'll sleep all by self... everything she could think of to convince me.  I said okay but I choose the story.  She said yes -- do you want the crayons one.  I said yes but she had to finish up her milk.  She finished her milk and I asked her to get the book.  She tried to push back on that once asking me to get it but did get it when I said I was too tired.

We read the crayons book and I said that I'm going.  She said no stay for a little bit.  I said I had to clean up the kitchen before daddy came home but she didn't agree.  Too tired to get up from bed I agreed.  She smiled happily and lay down.  I retired thinking that I'll have a quick nap as well.  Within 5 minutes she says to me mummy go and clean up the kitchen!  I was taken aback... did NOT expect her to every tell me to go!  Happily surprised I said okay and asked for a kiss.  She kissed me three times - on both cheeks and lips, twisting my head this way and other to kiss me and then I went out.

Even more surprisingly later Ashish came back and went to her room to hang some clothes to dry on the radiator in her room and she was up and sat up.  She told her daddy - "look I'm sleeping by self" and asked him a few questions about why he was hanging the clothes and went back to bed.

I think we've finally cracked the "sleeping by self"!

No comments:

Post a Comment